Bok Choy & Chicken Stir-Fry
Whether you want to cook up a quick meal after work, or switch up your normal dinner routine, this is the perfect recipe! In 30 minutes you can have a healthy, quick, delicious, low-calorie meal that’s guaranteed to be a hit in your household. Less time in the kitchen means more time you can spend with your family.
You can easily alter this recipe to suit your family’s dietary needs. You can make this recipe in a variety of ways. Try different proteins, vegetables, and spices; you can even reduce the sodium content by using less soy sauce. Healthy eating doesn’t have taste bland or “look” boring. Feed your family tasty healthier foods and they’ll keep coming back for more!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 teaspoon arrowroot starch (or organic cornstarch)
2 tablespoon rice vinegar (unsweetened)
2 teaspoon low-sodium tamari soy sauce
4 garlic cloves minced
1 ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
½ cup low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable)
2 tablespoon freshly chopped ginger
1 medium onion thinly sliced
2 teaspoon red crushed pepper
2 red peppers thinly sliced
4 heads baby bok choy, chopped
4 chicken filets, chopped into chunks
½ cup brown rice
ground black pepper or salt-free seasonings to taste
- Cook rice according to directions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed red pepper, rice vinegar, arrowroot starch, and chicken broth.
- Season chicken with salt-free seasonings or fresh ground pepper to taste
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to large skillet and add chicken chunks. Cook for 4-6 minutes until it’s almost cooked. Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to skillet and add garlic, ginger, onion, bok choy and red pepper; stir occasionally for about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add chicken back into skillet, shake sauce and add it to the pot until it thickens, about a minute. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a bowl and serve.
- Serve immediately with ½ cup of brown rice.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 454 (386 without brown rice) | Total Fat 11.6 g | Saturated Fat 1.2 g Sodium 763 mg | Carbohydrates 45.8 g | Fiber: 11.4 g | Protein 48.3 g
Vanessa Cunningham is a New York-based nutrition & lifestyle coach and dynamic speaker. She helps busy professionals reduce stress, banish unhealthy cravings, lose weight and increase their energy levels. Vanessa is a regular Huffington Post blogger and has been featured on Essence.com, and MindBodyGreen. To get her free gift 6 Ways To Accelerate Your Weight Loss, please visit www.unhealthynomore.com. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.