Morning Quick Fix: Delicious Veggie Egg Cups
Make the most of your eggs by stuffing them with healthy vegetables and tasty cheese. This recipe is so easy, your kids can help you with it! Best of all, muffin tins make this breakfast from Dash something your kids can eat in the car if you’re running late. The recipe calls for egg substitute but you can just as easily substitute six eggs.
16-oz package frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup diced green bell sweet peppers or finely chopped broccoli florets
1/4 cup diced onion
2 cups (16 oz) liquid egg substitute
3/4 shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Put the foil cups in the muffin pan. Spray each cup with cooking spray.
- Unwrap the spinach and place in a glass bowl. Microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes. Use potholders to remove the bowl from the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- When the spinach is cool enough to handle, pick up a handful. Squeeze out the liquid over the sink. Put the spinach in the medium mixing bowl. Repeat until all the spinach is squeezed dry and has been added to the bowl.
- Using kitchen shears, snip up the bell peppers. If you’re using broccoli, chop it into pieces slightly smaller than bite-sized. Add to the mixing bowl. Chop the onion and add it to the mixing bowl.
- Add the egg substitute and cheese to the bowl. Mix everything with the whisk.
- Using a measuring cup, put 1/4 cup of the mixture in each foil cup. If there’s extra, divide it evenly among the cups. Each foil cup should have almost the same amount.Put the muffin pan in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.Stick a table knife blade into the centers of several muffins. If nothing sticks to the knife when you pull it out, the eggs are done. If the knife isn’t clean, continue baking another 3 minutes. Test with a knife again. Serve when fully cooked.