Dr. Noire: Asap Allergy Relief
As the temperature changes and we feel autumn in the crisp morning air, allergy sufferers are running to stock up on tissues. The variations between warm and cool are just enough to cause a bit of congestion, catching the immune system off guard. Make sure you are proactive! There are a few preventative steps to decrease the intensity of symptoms such as mucous production, frequency of sneezing and sinus pressure.
Check out the following tips:
• Decrease and/or eliminate dairy, sugar and gluten (may increase allergic response and increases mucous production)
• Over a pot of boiling water which produces steam, add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to the pot. Be careful to not burn yourself while breathing in the warm, scented steam.
• If you feel a sinus infection coming on regularly sip 1/4c Apple Cider Vinegar in 16oz of water (room temp or warm). This may help thin mucous.
• Try boiling this concoction to drink: 1 LARGE CUP WATER, 1 TBS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, 1 WHOLE CLOVE, 1 PORTION FRESH GINGER ROOT (CHOPPED), 1 TSP GROUND CINNAMON, 1 TBS LOCAL HONEY
• Add cayenne to your food. The spice will thin mucous and decrease the tingle in the nose… after it tingles from a strong whiff of pepper 🙂
• Use a warm compress on your head.
• Clear your head and clear your thoughts. Some times congestion equals confusion.
• Get acupuncture to help relieve allergy symptoms. It’s been proven to be very effective.
Words By: Dr. Lisa Hollingsworth Upshaw