Pressed-Crust Pear Tart
Serves 8 | Hands-On Time: 20 min. | Total Time: 1 hr. 5 min.
½ cup unsalted butter, plus more for the pan, at room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for fingers
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup sugar, plus 1 ½ tablespoons
1 large egg
2-3 Bosc pears, peeled, halved, and cored
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ cup apricot jam
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Butter 14-inch rectangular tart pan and set aside
3. Combine flour and baking powder in medium bowl and set aside
4. Using electric mixer, cream butter and ½ cup sugar at high speed in large bowl. Lower speed to medium, add egg, and beat until incorporated. Gradually add flour mixture until fully incorporated. Dough will be very soft.
5. Push dough into pan with floured fingers to form even crust. Arrange pear halves, top to bottom, cut side down. Sprinkle with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Bake until crust is golden brown (about 45 minutes). Let cool.
6. Heat apricot jam and lemon juice in small saucepan over medium-low heat, mixing until combined. Remove from heat and brush gently over entire tart. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Source/Photos: Real Simple