15 Delectable Dishes Featuring Pears
Pear and Apricot Tart
Serves 8 | Hands-On Time: 20 min. | Total Time: 1 hr. 45 min.
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for pan
½ cup raw almonds
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 large egg
½ teaspoon pure almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 pears, peeled, quartered and cored
½ cup dried apricots, halved
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ cup apricot preserves
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch removable-bottom fluted tart pan
2. In food processor, process almonds and ½ cup sugar until finely ground. Add butter, egg, and almond extract and process until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Pulse a few times to combine (dough will be soft).
3. Spread dough in bottom of prepared pan.
4. In small bowl, toss pears and apricots with lemon juice and remaining tablespoon of sugar. Arrange pears in dough. Scatter apricots over dough, pressing them in gently.
5. Bake until pears are tender and center is firm (about 50-55 minutes). Cover edges with foil if they begin to brown too quickly.
6. In small bowl, combine preserves and 1 tablespoon water. Brush over warm tart. Let cool in pan before unmolding.