Detroit Civil Rights Group Demands Kid Rock To Lose The Confederate Flag
Detroit native Kid Rock is not meeting up to one civil rights group’s request to renounce the Confederate battle flag and now his tour sponsor, General Motors, is set to discuss their demands. As a result, Kid Rock could lose sponsorship for his summer tour.
“We will be furthering our call to ask GM to remove their support of funds for Kid Rock’s tour,” Rev. Charles Williams II, president of the Michigan Chapter of the National Action Network and pastor of King Solomon Baptist Church in Detroit, told USA Today.
On Tuesday, General Motors – whose Chevrolet brand is sponsoring summer concerts – confirmed its meeting with the National Action Network with a statement to the Detroit Free Press.
“We have been in touch with Reverend Williams, and representatives from Chevrolet will be meeting with him later this week to better understand his concerns. We need to let some open and constructive dialogue occur as a first step, and we’ll go from there,” said General Motors.
But, it does not look like Kid Rock, the father of a biracial son, is up for taking any action to please the civil rights group.
“Please tell the people protesting that they can kiss my …,” said Kid Rock in his segment with Fox News Channel’s Megyn Kelly.
The NAN members could be seen protesting outside of the Detroit Historical Museum earlier this month. Their request is for Kid Rock, who has been connected to the flag for years, to distance himself from the representation that stirs so much racial hatred.
Chevrolet has not faltered in its support for the famous rocker and is sticking to its statement to first begin with conversations. Detroit’s National Action Network is a branch of the New York-based organization founded by Reverend Al Sharpton.