Chicago Cop Acquitted Of Charges In Death Of Rekia Boyd

April 20, 2015  |  

More than three years after the fatal shooting of 22-year-old Rekia Boyd, the man responsible for her death, Detective Dante Servin, has been cleared of all charges relating to the incident surrounding her death, The Chicago Sun Times reports.

In March of 2012, Servin, who was off duty at the time, called 911 to complain about crowds of people “drinking, fighting and smoking drugs” outside of his Douglas Park home. After confronting Boyd and her friends near his home, Servin discharged his unregistered firearm. A bullet fatally stuck Boyd on the left side of her head. A bullet also struck Boyd’s friend Antonio Cross in the hand.

November 2013, Servin was formally indicted on charges of involuntary manslaughter, reckless conduct and reckless discharge of a firearm. Servin, however, never had to defend himself in the court of law. After granting a defense motion for a direct verdict, Cook County Judge Dennis Porter found Servin not guilty without Servin ever having to present a defense.

According to Porter, Servin’s conduct on the night of Boyd’s death was “beyond reckless” and as a result, “it would be improper to allow the trial to continue given the total failure” to prove his recklessness, which apparently was the glue that held the prosecution’s argument together.

“The evidence does not support the charges on which the defendant is being tried,” Porter reasoned.

Even worse, Porter explained that Servin discharging his Glock “was an intentional act” because as the Chicago Police Department has claimed, “He thought for sure he was going to get shot,” by Cross, who he claims pretended to put his hand in his waistband before charging at him.

“I know this case has generated a lot of emotion … but this is a court of law, not a court of emotion,” Porter said before reading his verdict, according to DNAinfo.

Naturally, the courtroom exploded in outrage and disbelief.

“You want me to be quiet? This motherf-cker killed my sister!” Boyd’s brother Martinez Sutton yelled before being led away.

Boyd’s mother Angela Helton and other relatives gathered outside of the courtroom and cried after the reading of the verdict.

“He murdered my daughter in cold blood,” Helton said.

“When we walked in, we already knew we lost,” Sutton said. “I thought that maybe the judge would grow a heart, but just like the Tin Man, he never had one.”

“What exactly [does] that tell you? That tell you that anybody with a badge can get away with shooting any one of y’all out here. It’s not just about color anymore … It’s people wearing the badge disrespecting [their] badge,” he continued. “My sister was 22 years old. She would be 25 right now if she was living. She will never come back. We’ll never be able to hug and kiss her no more. We’ll never be able to say ‘Rekia, I love you.’…. We’ll never be able to see that smile again.”

Helton received a $4.5 million settlement from the city back 2013. We send our prayers to the relatives and friends of Rekia, who like so many others will not receive justice after their lives were tragically snuffed out by those who vowed to protect and serve.

Follow Jazmine on Twitter @JazmineDenise

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN