Janay Rice Opens Up About Fight That Led To Valentine’s Day Assault

April 15, 2015  |  

More than a year after their violent Valentine’s Day incident made headlines, Ray and Janay Rice are speaking out about the night that changed their lives forever. In an interview with New York magazine, Janay revealed that Ray’s priorities became a bit distorted and he was all about his NFL career as their relationship progressed.

“Football came before everything and everyone,” Janay recalled.

While she admits that she understood Ray being career focused, it did present a strain in their relationship.

“It was definitely frustrating. It was hard knowing I wasn’t his first priority,” she explained.

According to the 27-year-old, things intensified once she gave birth to their daughter, Rayven, who didn’t sleep much at the time.

“I felt I was doing everything by myself,” Janay said. “After a while, I resented that. I felt like a walking zombie. I told Ray he needed to change more diapers.”

Though she voiced her concerns, Ray only came up with more excuses to stay away from home, including booking charity engagements on his only day off.

“I get home, I’m spent,” he recalled. “There’s no time to talk. ‘I got practice the next day.’ ”

Ray went on to say that things worsened and communication came to a halt.

“It got to the point where if she had an issue, I would basically just go silent,” he said. “There wasn’t a lot of yelling, screaming, nothing. I would just wake up, go to practice. Then game day gets here. I’d rush for three touchdowns. The family’s over at the house. She’s still got that problem she’s thinking about. And I think, I scored three touchdowns today. Everything’s all right.”

“That’s not what a man does,” Janay recalled telling him. “I know what a man is supposed to be. I know how a man acts in a relationship. I know what a father is. I experienced it.”

The night of the fight, Janay recalls wanting to spend time with her then fiancé, but instead he chose to partake in a group celebration with his half-brother, his girlfriend and another couple at the Revel Casino.

“It was an annoyance to me,” Janay said. “I was a little perturbed, though I didn’t communicate that to him.”

Instead, she stayed silent for the entire three-hour car ride to Atlantic City, New Jersey. After having a few drinks, the couple began bickering.

“We were drunk and tired,” Janay said.

Eventually, the altercation took a violent turn and Ray knocked Janay unconscious in the hotel elevator.

“Ma, I made a huge mistake,” Ray recalled a text message he sent to his mother. “I’m probably going to go to jail tonight.”

And of course, we know how the rest of the story unfolded. Apparently, the interview is a part of Ray’s attempts to redeem himself and clean up his image in hopes that an NFL team will pick him up for the 2015 season.

You can check out the couple’s full interview here. Thoughts?

Follow Jazmine on Twitter @JazmineDenise

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN