Detroit Man Who Walked 21 Miles To Work Moves To Safer Place After Receiving $350,000 From Crowdfunding Campaign

February 11, 2015  |  

James Robertson, the Detroit man who had to walk 21 miles to work every day for years after his car broke down, has moved to a new home out of worries for his safety. Robertson got help from the police and decamped without even informing his girlfriend.

Robertson relocated from the rooming house where he has lived for the past 15 years and paid $220 a week for rent.  Robertson also received a 2015 loaded Ford Taurus priced at $35,000 last week, which he was parking in the precinct’s parking lot, reports The Detroit Free Press. His crowdfunding campaign netted him $350,000.

According to police, Robertson, 56, wanted to move to a place where he felt safer. He made the move almost immediately after crime-prevention specialists offered him temporary living quarters, Detroit police Capt. Aric Tosqui said. “We had a meeting with him (and) he expressed interest that he did not feel safe,” said Tosqui, commanding officer of the 3rd Precinct.

It probably was wise to move as Robertson’s new windfall has received major global publicity. And as soon as news hit that Robertson had extra cash, people came out of the woodwork asking for handouts–even though he has yet to get the cash in hand from his GoFundMe campaign.

“People were actually asking him for money,” 2nd Deputy Chief June West said.

The recent murder of an 86-year-old Detroit man who just won the lottery for $20,000 also spurred Robertson’s decision to move.

According to Tosqui, he reached out to a local businessman and asked if he could provide an empty apartment to Robertson, at no cost “for a few days” until Robertson found a permanent location.

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN