Over the weekend, we told you that Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson was arrested and indicted on child abuse charges. As previously reported, a pediatrician called the authorities on Adrian after discovering bruises and marks on his 4-year-old son during a doctor’s visit. It was later revealed that the boy sustained the marks after Adrian disciplined him with a switch.
Following the arrest, Adrian was deactivated by the Vikings, but according to TMZ, the team will be allowing him to return to the field in just a few short days.
“As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday’s game, this is clearly a very important issue,” said team owner Zygi Wilf in a statement. “On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter. At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved.
“To be clear, we take very seriously any matter that involves the welfare of a child. At this time, however, we believe this is a matter of due process and we should allow the legal system to proceed so we can come to the most effective conclusions and then determine the appropriate course of action. This is a difficult path to navigate, and our focus is on doing the right thing. Currently we believe we are at a juncture where the most appropriate next step is to allow the judicial process to move forward.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and support Adrian’s fulfillment of his legal responsibilities throughout this process.”
Adrian is expected to return to the field as early as Sunday for the Vikings’ upcoming game against the New Orleans Saints. Under the league’s newly implemented domestic violence policy, if convicted, Adrian could face a minimum six-game suspension.