Dating more than one person at a time has not been my style in the past and I also felt it was inappropriate. I was accustomed to dating one man and if that relationship did not unfold and progress initially or if it ended after some time, I would then take a break and start a new search.
So when someone recommended the book Love in 90 Days by Diana Kirschner, PhD, I decided to read it. I was rather shocked when I got to the part of about dating three to find one. She recommended seriously dating three men at one time and really getting to know each of them for several months with no sexduring that time.
So, I decided to give this new method a shot. So far, the benefits are outweighing the negatives. From my personal experience, here are 5 positives of dating 3 men simultaneously:
- Relaxation of the monkey mind.When you date just one man, you have a tendency to over-analyze everything. This mind focus can be on how many hours since the last text message, re-reading a text or email to see if you wrote it well or made a mistake, making incorrect assumptions of what he is thinking, visualizing the wedding and where to have it, and generalized obsessive thinking that can only make you crazy!
- Elimination of the chase. When you have three men courting you, you can shift your focus and look forward to the next date with a different man while giving some space and time to the last date. Send a thank you text or email when you conclude a date and then make plans for another adventure with one of the two other men on your list. When a man feels chased, he usually runs away. So you are giving him space to desire a subsequent date with you!
- Dating 3 diminishes the tendency to make it a competition between two. When there are only 2 men in your dating plan, you will bounce back and forth on a list of likes and dislikes that can be unnecessary mind gymnastics. With 3 men, you can just relax and enjoy each one, getting to know them more deeply.
- Slows the process of quick intimacy. When you date only one, you may rush intimacy and sex, which can diminish the chances of a long and lasting love. By slowing the whole process down, you have a chance to dig in deep and learn about the compatibility of a long-term relationship. The relationship will be built on a stronger foundation by delaying sex.
- Allows the man to initiate the next date. When you simply thank the man for the last date without suggesting the next one, you allow him to build his interest and show that he does truly want to see you again. This space for him gives you a better idea if he is really into you or not. If there is no proposal to see you again after a few days, he may not have a high level of interest in you and you may need to find a replacement!
Read more dating tips at YourTango.com