When we reported on Hoffman’s death in early February, a law official speaking to the New York Times commented, “It’s pretty apparent that it’s an overdose. The syringe was in his arm.” In addition police found as many as 65 bags of unused heroin in the West Village apartment as well as used syringes, prescription drugs and other drug paraphernalia.
Us Weekly is reporting that the New York office of the Chief Medical Examiner has confirmed that Hoffman died of “accidental acute mixed drug intoxication including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine.”
In the days following his death police raided a Manhattan apartment building and arrested 3 men and one woman in connection to the drugs found in Hoffman’s apartment. They recovered 350 bags of bags believed to be filled with “black list” and “red bull” brands of heroin.
Hoffman had been quite vocal about his struggles with addiction over the years. In a 2011 interview with 60 Minutes he talked about dependency on drug and alcohol stating, “Anything I could get my hands on, I liked it all.” In an eerie foreshadowing he said fear is what finally made him sober up.
“You get panicked. … I was 22 and I got panicked for my life. It really was, it was just that,”
“I’m like, ‘Oh my God. I’d be dead.'”
TMZ reported that last year Hoffman relapsed and began taking prescription pills and snorting heroin. He entered rehab for a 10-days in May 2013 after relapsing following more than 23 years of sobriety.
With the cause of death confirmed we wish Hoffman’s family can continue to find peace. We hope the actor is remembered for his extraordinary work as an actor and not for his illness.