Another Shot At Justice: 2nd Jury Decides To Indict Cop Who Killed Jonathan Ferrell

January 28, 2014  |  

Just last week, we were truly saddened and disgusted to report that a partial grand jury decided Randall Kerrick, the police officer who shot and killed unarmed former football player Jonathan Ferrell, would not be indicted for his actions.

But there seems to be another shot at justice. Yesterday, WXII12 reported that another grand jury has decided to indict Kerrick for voluntary manslaughter. Attorney General Roy Cooper said that the case against Kerrick could be retried because the first grand jury was missing four members. Once the case was resubmitted, it was only a matter of hours before the new jury ruled Kerrick should be indicted.

Kerrick’s lawyers attempted to file a motion stopping prosecutors but Judge Robert Bell refused.

Last fall we reported that according to reports, on September 14, 2013, Jonathan Ferrell’s car crashed into a ravine. He was able to get out and tried to find help at a nearby home at 2 a.m. in the morning. A woman was alone in the house with her child and called the police in a panic. When officers arrived, Ferrell ran toward them. As Ferrell was approaching, one officer tasered Ferrell. But Kerrick took it upon himself to shoot. He shot 12 times, 10 of the bullets pierced Ferrell’s body. He was the only officer who fired his weapon. Ferrell, who was unarmed, died at the scene.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Chief Rodney Monroe said that even if Ferrell didn’t stop running toward Kerrick, deadly force was not necessary. The dashboard video of the shooting showed that Ferrell had his empty hands outstretched as he ran toward the police.

At one point, an officer yelled for him to get on the ground but it was unclear whether that warning came before or after the first shot was fired.

Ferrell’s family attorney, who watched video footage of the incident said this:

“But I can tell you that those shots were in such close proximity that Jonathan never had an opportunity to reply. He had bullets in him before he could ever hit the ground. So there was no sufficient warning. No one ever told him to stop. He didn’t have time to react.” 

A toxicology report later proved that Ferrell was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of his death.

Ferrell’s mother says she forgives Kerrick for the murder of her son but would like to see that he is removed from the police force.

Ferrell was 24 and engaged to be married.

If convicted, voluntary manslaughter charges carry a prison sentence of up to 11 years.

You can watch Ferrell’s family and others react to the new jury’s decision in the video below.

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN