CVS Refuses To Selling Rolling Stone Over ‘Tasteless’ Cover Featuring Boston Bomber

July 17, 2013  |  

 

 

Update: The pharmacy-franchise CVS has decided not sell the August issue of the Rolling Stone. A representative from the company said:

“As a company with deep roots in New England and a strong presence in Boston, we believe this is the right decision out of respect for the victims of the attack and their loved ones.”

The Boston supermarket chain Roche Bros. will also be boycotting the magazine. Their representative said in a statement:

“When Roche Bros. learned of the cover for the current issue of Rolling Stone, we chose not to offer that product for sale in our stores. We join with our customers and neighbors in focusing on the recovery of the victims and our community.”

—————

The Rolling Stone usually has celebrities donning its classic magazine cover, but this upcoming August, the Boston bombing assailant, Dzhokhar Tsarnaey will be featured. The decision to have Tsarnaey on the cover has created social media wildfire. The photo used is one Tsarnaey posted online  himself and that other media outlets have used when reporting on him. But even though the homegrown terrorist, as he’s been called, did not receive a photo shoot or star treatment, many were offended by the Rolling Stone’s decision.

Facebook follower, Adirenne Graham commented:

“Oh look, Rolling Stone magazine is glamourizing terrorism. Awesome, I will NOT be buying this issue, or any future issues.”

Other commenters  voiced their opinion using the words:

“tasteless,” “sickening” and “disgusting”

The cover caption of the Rolling Stone August issue reads:

“The Bomber. How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster.”

The article will recount how Tsarnaey’s wrestling coach convinced him to surrender to the police, his view on Islam, and why he didn’t publicize his staunch religious views in high school. It also features  Tsarnaey’s views on  9/11 with his belief that terrorist attacks can be justifiable due to the United States foreign policy on Muslim countries.The cover image was uploaded to Facebook on Tuesday, July 16 and received more than 4,700 comments by Wednesday morning. Many commenters stated they would cancel the magazine’s  subscription whereas others shared similar sentiments to this statement:

“What a slap in the face to the great city of Boston and the Marathon Bombing victims,” commented Lindsey Williamson.

The photo also shed light on ‘The Free Jahar’ movement. (Dzhokhar is also spelled as Jahar):

“#BoycottRollingStone calling Djahar a monster and stirring the pot even more shame on you! Innocent until PROVEN guilty,” tweeted @Jahars_Tsarnaev.

CNN requested a comment about this controversy from Rolling Stone but has not received a response. The contributing editor of the  Rolling Stone, Janet Reitman, who wrote the article stated:

“We put Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover because the bombing in Boston is the biggest story in America this year.”

Dzhokar and his brother were accused of setting off bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15. Three people died and over 230 were injured. Dzhokar’s brother Tamerlan was killed on April 19 in a shootout with the police. Dzhokar is being charged with 30 federal counts; last week he pleaded not guilty.

What do you think of the Rolling Stone’s decision to feature Dzhokar Tsarnaey? If George Zimmerman was featured on any magazine covers, would you boycott?  Let us know in the comment section!

 


Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN