Beyonce And Jay-Z’s Cuban ‘Vacation’ Sparks Outrage From Government Officials

April 8, 2013  |  

Last week we told you that hip-hop power couple Beyoncé and Jay-Z celebrated their fifth wedding anniversary on the beautiful island of Cuba. Although it looks like the love birds had a marvelous time during their visit to the largest island in the Caribbean, there’s just one problem… well, several problems.

America’s 51-year-old Embargo Act prohibits U.S. citizens from traveling to Cuba solely for tourism purposes. Citizens can, however, visit by obtaining a “cultural exchange” license, reports the Associated Press. If the Carters attained the proper paperwork before making their trip, then no laws have been broken. But, if they haven’t, there may be consequences to pay.

Some have expressed that they find the couple’s trip to Cuba to be insensitive. Maurice Claver-Clarone, the D.C. Director for the US-Cuba Democracy PAC told TMZ that he’s disappointed that the Carters would vacation in such a country and insists that they educate themselves on Cuba’s human rights.

“There are women getting beaten on a daily basis, women who are being jailed for no reason … people are fighting for their freedom,” said Claver-Clarone.

He’s also urging the Obama administration to take action if it is revealed that the pair did not comply with guidelines of the Embargo Act for the trip.

“All we see is them celebrating, doing absolutely nothing to help the Cuban people. If that is the case and they have gone down there illegally, then I hope that the Obama administration doesn’t think they are above the law because the law applies equally to everyone,” Claver-Clarone continued.

The nature of the trip is currently being investigated by lawmakers.

“We represent a country of many who have been deeply and personally harmed by the Castro regime’s atrocities. The restrictions on tourism and travel are common-sense measures meant to prevent U.S. dollars from supporting a murderous regime,” wrote Florida Congresswoman Illeana Ros-Lehtinen in a letter to Adam J. Szubin, Director of Foreign Assets Control, where she inquired about the type of license that the celebrity couple obtained from the U.S. Department of Treasury for their trip.

Many believe that the couple’s Cuban excursion may have been in relation to Jay-Z seeking to recruit Cuban talent for his newly launched sports agency. So far, there has been no word from the Department of Treasury or the Carters regarding the trip.

 

What are your thoughts on all of this? Were Jay and Bey being insensitive when they decided to head to Cuba or is this being blown out of proportion?

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN