So Sad: Star Of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” Dead At 27
Antoine Ashley, better known as Sahara Davenport from Season 2 of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” has passed away suddenly at the age of 27, NewNowNext is reporting. Logo, the network behind the drag show also confirmed the news in a statement, saying:
“Logo is profoundly saddened by the passing of Antoine Ashley who fans around the world knew and loved as Sahara Davenport. He was an amazing artist and entertainer who’ll be deeply missed by his Logo family. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family, especially his boyfriend Karl, in their time of need.”
GLAAD spokesperson Rich Ferraro also made a statement on Sahara’s passing, saying:
“In addition to being a talented performer, we also remember the great work of Antoine Ashley, known to many fans as Sahara Davenport, in support of LGBT youth organizations and GLAAD. This is a saddening loss and our thoughts are with Sahara’s friends, partner and family.”
According to Queerty.com, Sahara was born and raised in Dallas, TX, and attended Southern Methodist University, where he earned a BFA in dance. When he moved to New York, he landed gigs on One Life to Live, Judge Karen, and appeared in videos for David Guetta and Chris Willis. Sahara was also an artist himself, landing at number 50 on the Billboard dance charts with the single “Go Off” earlier this year. His boyfriend, Karl, better known as Manila Luzon was also a contestant on “RuPaul’s Drag Race.”
So far, no details on the cause of death have been revealed, but several members of the LGBT and drag community have expressed their condolences online, including RuPaul who tweeted:
We’re definitely keeping the entertainer’s family and friends in our thoughts.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making Of “The Wiz”
- One Time It Wouldn’t Hurt To Think Like A Man: The Take It Or Leave It Attitude
- Power Couples With Half The Fame: Celebrities With Non-Famous Partners
- Single Black Male: Why Do Men “Settle?”
- Evening Eye Candy: Ryan Reynolds
- No Need To Wonder: 15 Signs You’re Just A Toy To Him
- Where Are They Now? 11 Forgotten, Familiar and Favorite Faces From Some Of Our Favorite Spike Lee Joints