Hopefully Stevie Wonder can rest easy now that a 38-year-old man and his girlfriend who tried to extort the singer have been sentenced for their crime by a Los Angeles judge. According to The Los Angeles Times, Alpha Lorenzo Walker, 38, and his girlfriend, Tamara Eileen Diaz, also 38, were charged with attempted extortion. Alpha was sentenced to 292 days in jail after pleading no contest Monday, but he was released from jail after being given credit for time served.
[Alpha and Tamara] were arrested May 2 by Los Angeles Police Department robbery-homicide detectives after Walker made false claims about Wonder and his family and said he would sell the information unless the singer paid him the money. Diaz has also been released on time served.
According to Wonder’s attorney, William Joseph Briggs II, Walker met him at a Century City-area coffee shop and showed him video footage that supposedly depicted conditions at the vacant former home of Wonder’s deceased mother.
Unless he was paid the $5 million, Walker warned that the singer would be “extremely” embarrassed by the tape’s release, Briggs said. During the coffeehouse meeting, Briggs noticed that Diaz was nearby watching.
Briggs said he later told Walker that Wonder was outraged by the demand and Walker then lowered his demand to $500,000, with a confidentiality statement signed by the pair when $10,000 was paid upfront.
In addition to the jail sentence Walker was given, LA County Superior Court Judge William C. Ryan also ordered him to attend twice-weekly mental health counseling while on probation. His girlfriend has to complete 78 Narcotics Anonymous classes and was placed on three years of formal probation. The pair has also been ordered to stay away from Stevie Wonder, his family, and his co-workers during that time. Hopefully this is the last the Motown singer has to hear of them.
More on Madame Noire!
- From Dropping It Like It’s Hot To Oscars: 10 Celebrities Who Got Their Video Vixen On Before Making It Big (Fellas Too!)
- Name It & Claim It: The Importance of Speaking Your Dreams and Desires Into Existence
- It’s Women Like Kiana Howell And Makeeba Graham Who Make It Hard For All Of Us To Get Through Security At The Airport
- Ask A Very Smart Brotha: Does Makeup Really Matter To Men?
- When It Comes To The Magic Stick, Does Size Really Matter?
- Magazine Cover Curse: 9 Couples Who Shared Their Love With Us And Ended Up Yesterday’s News
- Wait, How Did You Get That Role? 14 Of The Crappiest Casting Calls in Black Films and TV