You just love them. You stand in line for days just to buy them. But did you know your iPhone addiction is a costly one. In fact, damaged iPhones cost Americans billions.
SquareTrade, which provides warranties for tech gadgets, says damaged iPhones have cost Americans $5.9 billion since they first hit the market in 2007. SquareTrade polled more than 2,000 iPhone users and the results combined the cost of repairs, replacements and insurance deductibles for cracked, dropped, pummeled, kicked and water-damaged iPhones.
It is actually 10 times more likely that you will damage your own iPhone than it is that someone will steal it from you. So if you’re one of the 11 percent of iPhone owners walking around with a tacky cracked phone, you are not alone. Because of the high cost of iPhone repairs, many users — six percent, according to the SquareTrade poll — resort to trying to repair their phones themselves (usually with the hi-techiest of hi-tech solutions, tape).
And even though the new iPhone 5 “has been built with more aluminum this time around to help with durability, most of the benefit applies to the fragile back of the phone,” reports Business Insider. So you might want to opt for Apple’s $99 iPhone warranty.
The top five iPhone accidents, according to the poll are:
• Phone dropped from my hand
• Phone fell into a toilet, sink, hot tub, swimming pool, lake, etc.
• Phone dropped from a lap
• Phone knocked off a table
• Phone drenched by some sort of liquid
More on Madame Noire Business!
- From Detroit to Austria: Baroness Monica von Neumann Puts a Regal Spin on the Candle Business
- No to OWS: Jay Says He Never Supported Occupy Wall Street Movement
- The Wealth Gap and Entrepreneurship: Helping Black Businesses Helps Everyone
- Put Your Pride Aside: Why You Should Take The Job You Need Until You Can Get The One You Want
- Unemployed and Undereducated: Study Finds Black Youth Are Disconnected
- Vogue’s First Fashion Week In Africa Highlights Renewed Interest in the Continent