“My Mama Always Said Safety First!” Seven-Year-Old Honored For Saving Cousin From Kidnapper
I don’t know about you but I want 7-year-old A-nari Taylor around the next time something goes down near me. The little girl was honored by the Miami Police Department yesterday as one of the city’s youngest crime stoppers, after saving her cousin from an abductor.
According to NBC News:
On July 27, A-nari Taylor was playing with her cousin, Brandon Mincey, 4, and other kids outside Mincey’s apartment when a man walked up to Brandon, screaming, “God told me to take him, God told me he’s coming with me,” according to police.
The would-be abductor, identified as 39-year-old David Moore, then allegedly grasped Brandons arm, but A-nari sprang into action, punching and kicking him.
Taylor said she was frightened by the man, but she kept struggling with him to try to free her cousin.
“The man started pulling him, and we start pulling him back and I had to chop and kick him so he could let Brandon go,” A-nari said after Tuesday’s ceremony, in which she received a standing ovation. “‘Cause my mama always said safety is first.”
An adult in the apartment complex also rushed over to help.
“The little boy looked so scared,” Tiffany Morris told NBCMiami.com. “A-nari came over and started beating the man up, and she was like, ‘Let my cousin go, let my cousin go.'”
Moore eventually let go of Brandon, Morris said. Police later arrested him in the neighborhood.
Officers presented A-nari with an award and a Sponge Bob Squarepants jacket for her bravery as her mom expressed her pride in her daughter.
“I’m very, very proud of her, and she knows that I love her. What she did was very brave. She always said she wanted to get into karate, so this is the beginning.”
I predict a black belt very soon. Go ‘head A-nari!
More on Madame Noire!
- Okay, I’ll Submit. But Are You Ready To Love Me? (You Know, Like Christ Loved The Church)
- An Open Letter To The Almighty Goatee
- It’s Not About You Boo: Times When Your Sensitivity Gets In The Way
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making Of “How Stella Got Her Groove Back”
- “Girl, You’ve Got a Big ‘Ol Juicy Booty!” 7 Ways Men Hurt Their Chances With Women
- The Danger Of Marrying For Practical Purposes: Why I Think Those Who “Settle” Are Potential Cheaters
- The Thirst Files: She Pulled A Disappearing Act, I Got Desperate