The person holding the winning Powerball ticket is somewhere in Michigan. That person — a single human being holding a little slip of paper — is also $337 million richer (minus taxes, which brings the lump-sum payment to $241 million). The jackpot is the third biggest in Powerball history.
The winning numbers are : 6, 27, 46, 51, 56 and the Powerball, 21. The winner purchased the ticket at a gas station in Lapeer, a town about 45 miles from Detroit. Five tickets sold are worth $1 million, and another ticket in Nebraska is worth $2 million.
The odds of winning were 175 million-to-one and more than 86 million tickets were sold. According to the senior drawing manager of the Multi-State Lottery Association, Sue Dooley, everyone has an equal chance of winning when they plunk down their $2 for a ticket. Interesting facts about the drawing:
-One of those machines costs $55,000. Each of the balls costs $60.
-Cameras positioned all around the Florida studio where the drawing takes places beam the proceedings back to the lottery HQ outside of Des Moines, I.A.
-Iowa officials take a final count of the jackpot about an hour before the drawing, so it can be accurately announced during the drawing.
So even if you didn’t win, you’re now rich in lottery information.
More on Madame Noire Business!
- The Number of Black-Owned Businesses, and the Need for Resources, Is Growing
- Are You Pinning? Pintrest for Individuals, Small Businesses, and Big Brands
- Women, Minority Businesses Face an Added Burden of Proof
- Are Black Businesses Suffering From an Undeserved Rep for Bad Customer Service?
- How to Tackle Office Enemies
- Here are the Five Highest Paying Jobs You Don’t Need a Bachelor’s Degree to Do