15 Memorable African American Olympic Moments
Every four years we get to watch our country’s celebrated athletes compete against the best in the world for the glory, the gold, and a place in the record books. During each Olympic Games we huddle around our TV’s anxiously waiting to see who will be this year’s star competitors.
Among these champions we are always excited to see outstanding black athletes from around the world dominating in their respective events. African Americans like Alice Coachman, John Taylor, and Tommie Smith have triumphed against adversity and become heroes of both the black community and the world of sports.
In celebration of this year’s Olympics here are 15 memorable moments from the Games that we will never forget.
See if your favorite moment made the list at blackvoices.com
More on Madame Noire!
- How Ya Going? 9 of Our Favorite Celebs Of Trinidadian Descent (There’s Some Surprises!)
- Baby, Bye! Celebs Who Took Their Baby Hair Too Far
- But He’s Not On My Level, Right? Why Women Should Seek Passion and Purpose in a Mate
- What’s Happened To R&B Music? The Real Men of R&B We Love
- Almost Doesn’t Count! Celebs Who Never Quite Made It Down the Aisle”
- Summer Essentials: The Curvy Fashionista Lists Her 5 Must-Haves
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “New Jack City”