This Is a Problem: DC Cop Threatens To Shoot The First Lady, Secret Service Calls It a Bad Joke
There are bad jokes and there are things you just don’t say. Ever. I’ve always stood by the thinking that jokes are just humorous reflections of how you really feel and if that’s the case with this DC cop who made threats against Michelle Obama, he needs to go.
According to The Washington Post, on Wednesday morning as several officers from the Special Operations Division of the Secret Service discussed threats against the Obamas, A D.C. police officer who worked as a motorcycle escort for White House officials and other dignitaries made one of his own.
“During that conversation, the officials said, the officer allegedly said he would shoot the First Lady and then used his phone to retrieve a picture of the firearm he said he would use. It was not immediately clear what type of firearm was allegedly shown.
“An officer overheard the alleged threat and reported it to a police lieutenant at the Division, who immediately notified superiors, the officials said.”
Although the officer has been removed from his unit and placed on administrative duties, the Secret Service is heavily downplaying the threat. According to MSNBC, the Secret Service doesn’t believe the remarks constitute any sort of real threat, with an official telling NBC:
“Pump the brakes on this one.”
Come again? Furthermore, officials familiar with the situation say it was a bad joke made by someone who should have known better. If radio hosts and news commentators are getting fired over making racially charged remarks it would seem much more should be done to someone threatening bodily harm, particularly who’s in close enough vicinity to actually make good on it.
Secret Service officials say they “will conduct appropriate follow-up”—whatever that means.
How do you think this situation should be handled?
More on Madame Noire!
- You Stole My Steez: 8 Musicians Who People Say Got Famous Copying Other Singers
- What Are We Playing For? Why Competition In a Relationship Makes Both Partners Lose
- Good Sex, Are You Having It? The Importance of Communication In The Bedroom
- The Time I was Sexually Assaulted…by a Woman
- True Life: I’ve Done Crazy Things to Impress People…
- Wayne Brady, Bill Maher and The Problem With What Black Manhood Means to NON-Black People
- 8 Things We Want To Tell Our Potential Suitors: The First Date No No’s For Men