T.J. Holmes Has a Confession: ‘Yes, I Use The N-Word’
By T.J. Holmes
Debates about how journalists report stories with offensive language are nothing new. Some say it’s OK when it’s in context and even necessary to report the story. Others say journalists should use restraint and be able to get the point across without explicitly using such offensive words. For the sake of this conversation, let’s give the two CNN reporters the benefit of the doubt. (I happen to know both reporters and worked with them for years, and they are good, decent people and solid journalists.) Let’s assume they were doing honest reporting and had the best of intentions to put the stories in graphic context. That’s reasonable. And, that’s their justification for using the n-word. So, what’s mine? I’m black, so I can? That’s pretty weak.
Honestly, anytime I hear the n-word come out of any white person’s mouth (Gwyneth Paltrow’s included), I cringe. Whether I hear it from a white character in a movie or a white reporter telling a story, it makes me uneasy. I can’t help it. But, if asked to explain why they used the n-word in their reporting, the two CNNers could make their case, agree with it or not. Ask me to explain why I used the n-word 20 times in a conversation with my best friend at dinner last night, I don’t have much of a case to make.
In fact, I don’t have any case to make. Yes folks, I too use the n-word, and I assure you I’m not using it in order to put anything in context. I use it casually and sometimes constantly. I have no real logic behind using the word, but for whatever reason, I’m given somewhat of a pass by society because I’m black.
Read more about T. J. Holmes and why he says he’s done using the n-word on TheGrio.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- I’m Every (Black) Woman: Do You Feel Pressure To Always Represent For The Sistas?
- An Open Letter To the Virtual Church Lady: Why Do You Talk So Much About Jesus On Facebook?
- Love All Over Her: Monica Talks Falling In Love With Shannon, Says She Let Him Lead
- You’re Not Idris: Why The Man You’re Not Immediately Attracted To Could Be Your Perfect Match
- Evening Eye Candy: Baller Tyson Chandler
- When Keeping It Real Goes Right & Wrong: Celebs Who We Like More And Less After Doing Reality TV
- Single Black Male: 7 Reasons Black Men Take Longer to Put a Ring On It