She Wants RESPECT: Aretha Wants to Know Why Nobody’s Asked Her To Be A Reality TV Show Judge
Forget an honorary doctorate, Aretha has her sites set on another accomplishment, being a judge on a reality TV show singing competition. The only problem is she’s not getting any offers.
In an interview with the Chicago Sun Times she said,
“I would love to be a judge on one of those shows. But I don’t understand why singers like myself, Gladys (Knight), Natalie (Cole) and Patti (LaBelle) can’t be judges.
“We never get a call. I don’t understand it. I watch those shows all the time. Some of the talent is very good. Some of it is fun. And some of it is really wild.”
You can’t say she doesn’t have a point. Other than the obvious age demographic shows like the “X Factor,” “American Idol,” “Duets,” “The Voice,” etc. are trying to cater to, when you read about someone like Britney Spears, who can’t sing at all, getting $15 million dollars and walking off set the first day, or hosts ogling over women like Nicole Scherzinger and even Kelly Rowland (no shade), who have had mediocre solo careers in comparison to Aretha and them, you have to have a”huh” moment.
The fact that Aretha is said to have a bit of a diva attitude may not be helping her case, but we all know these shows aren’t really about finding a great singer, it’s about finding someone who is marketable. Unfortunately Aretha, Patty, and Glady’s talent would just be wasted on shows like these.
What do you think? Should reality singing competitions be knocking down Aretha’s door?
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: I REFUSE to Do That in the Bedroom
- He Wrote That? Part II: More Surprising Songwriters Behind Some of Your Favorite Jams
- Strength, Great Skin and 5 Other Black Girl Privileges
- Looking For Trouble: The Day I Hurt Myself By Snooping on My Man…
- My Story: For Colored Girls Who’ve Considered Suicide When the Law Couldn’t Protect Them From Incest
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: What’s With All the Diva Dudes?
- Noire Naturals, Episode 1: The Natural Twist Out