Queen Latifah Proud to Be Among “Her People” at Gay Pride Festival
By Dana Stringer
Queen Latifah arrived with her royal court to an amped and enthusiastic crowd of subjects summoned to celebrate the 29th Annual Long Beach Lesbian & Gay Pride Festival on Saturday, May 19.
The annual event held in Long Beach, California boasts of drawing approximately 100,000 attendees each year, making it the 2nd largest Pride festival in California and 4th largest in the nation. With such star power like Queen Latifah embracing this year’s event and taking the stage, attendance was presumably higher because everybody loves to see and hear a queen. And there was only one way for Her Highness to make her grand entrance, and that was upon the wings of rap hits like U.N.I.T.Y.and Ladies First.
Similar to the title of her 2003 film Bringing Down the House, Queen Latifah came hyped, energized and ready to do just that. She brought it in more ways than one, bridging songs with inspiring and encouraging words by telling the crowd to let their inner light shine in the world and to conquer hate with love.
It wasn’t just her Covergirl glow that radiated from the main stage and mesmerized festival goers; it was the light of her transparency emanating from within. The moment she uttered, I’ve been waiting to do this for a long time, the crowd knew she was prepared to reflect all sides of herself throughout her musical performance.
See what else the Queen had to say over at Eurweb.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Final Cut! Celebs We Haven’t Seen Since The Ax Came Down!
- Decoding Your Downstairs: 8 Things Women Need To Know About Their Va Jay Jay
- Got A What?! Yo, Gotta Get A Ruffneck! Cutie Pie Celebs Who’ve Been Around The Block
- How I Learned To Stop Giving Boyfriends Husband Privileges
- Who?s Going To Be The One To Tell Chelsea Her Jokes On Black Women Just Aren?t Funny?
- WOMAN to WOMAN: The Good in Goodbye
- LIP SERVICE: Lipsticks That Will Light Up Your Lips! – EDITOR PICKS