A couple of years ago, Fox announced plans to bring playwright/director David E. Talbert’s best-selling debut novel Baggage Claim to the big screen. At the time, Taraji P. Henson was slated to play the lead character, 35-year-old flight attendant Montana Moore who is the oldest woman in her family not married, but two years later, Taraji is out and Paula is in as the star of this new romantic comedy. Here’s the plot behind the film:
“Pledging to keep herself from being the oldest and the only woman in her entire family never to wed, Montana embarks on a thirty-day, thirty-thousand-mile expedition to charm a potential suitor into becoming her fiancé. Whom will she choose? Damon Diesel, a P. Diddy wannabe; Reverend Curtis P. Merewether, pastor of Greater House of Deliverance, Tabernacle of Praise, Worship, and Miracles; pompous attorney-turned-councilman Langston Jefferson Battle III; or Quinton Jamison, a multimillionaire who’s twenty years her senior?”
There’s no word on why Taraji is no longer attached to the movie but with filming already set to begin in September, Paula appears to be a sure thing. Talbert, the director who made his debut with Ice Cube and Tracy Morgan in the comedy “First Sunday,” will also be behind the camera.
This news from Fox on top of the coming “Baskbetball Wives” film has many on alert that Searchlight is ready to reinvest in black film—perhaps after witnessing the huge box office success of “Think Line a Man.” Whatever the motivator, let’s just hope the investment is done right.
What do you think about this movie? Would you prefer to see Paula Patton or Taraji P. Henson starring?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Hip to the Game: Red Flags We Overlook In Our 20′s And Look Out For In Our 30′s!
- Ashton Kutcher, “Brown Face,” And Why These Images Persist in Media
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “Boyz N The Hood”
- Why Do We Feel The Need to Keep Explaining ‘Our’ Fatness?
- Did You Know They Were The Daddy? Surprising Celebrity Parents
- 20 Years Later, Where Are They Now? The Cast of “The Cosby Show”
- Who You Calling a Bit**? A How-To on Properly Addressing Women