There are a small number of Black female producers in Hollywood who have been able to stay relevant and profitable; Halle Berry, Oprah Winfrey, Tracey Edmonds, Queen Latifah and then there’s Debra Martin Chase. Her name may not register with the general public the same way as the aforementioned women, but her credits speak for their self: Cheetah Girls, Cinderella, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, 1 and 2, Princess Diaries, 1 and 2 and most recently, Just Wright. Some may consider her work “chick flicks,” but Martin Chase makes movies for a living and the living is good.
Still an artist at heart, the movie veteran is producing two films set to release in 2012 and one on 2013; Sparkle, starring Jordin Sparks and the late Whitney Houston in her final theatrical performance; Dirty Dancing with director Kenny Ortega and Elixir, another Sanna Hamri collaboration. BlackEnterprise.com caught up with Martin Chase on the Detroit set of Sparkle as she dished out lessons on Hollywood moviemaking and staying ahead of the curve.
Read Debra’s story and find out how she felt about Whitney at BlackEnterprise.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “What’s Love Got to Do With It”
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “Family Matters”
- Can We Ever Get The Black Family Sitcom Back?
- Ratch on Ratch on Ratch: 6 Questions I Need Answered About Basketball Wives’
- The Mane Balancing Act: Exercising And Your Hair
- What’s Love Got To Do With It? Things You Really Need To Make A Relationship Work
- Post-Baby Fab: Fantasia Shows Off New Curves, New Hair & New Colorful Look