On Friday morning, 23-year old Jasmine Moss was found stabbed to death in the trunk of her mother’s car. The Oxon Hill, Maryland, woman was 14 weeks pregnant with her first child and police have already taken her estranged boyfriend, Nathan Rogers, into custody on first-degree murder charges. But now a neighbor has come forward expressing guilt for hearing strange noises during the attack and not saying anything.
It woke me up out of my sleep,” Kim Jarmon recalled to ABC 7 News. “I didn’t realize what it was. I mean I heard the lady crying or moaning and making noises, but she never said words, and there was never another voice.”
Kim lives next door to Nathan Rogers, which is the home where the stabbing occurred, though she didn’t know the couple. After finding out about Jasmine’s tragic death she says she wishes she would have called the police that morning.
“I went to bed crying, and then when I woke up the next day, Saturday, I cried, because I felt like I could have done something or could have helped her, but I didn’t know what to do.”
The unborn baby appears to have been the source of strife between the couple. Nathan didn’t want Jasmine to keep the baby, which he had fathered, and he had recently denied that it was his child. Already on house arrest for an assault conviction in 2011, Nathan is now being held without bail, pending a competency hearing. Meanwhile Jasmine’s family and friends intend to hold a vigil for her Thursday night.
Though it may have been too late to save Jasmine, this story illustrates the importance of calling police when you suspect foul play.
Are you the type to intervene when you think something odd is going on?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “What’s Love Got to Do With It”
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “Family Matters”
- Can We Ever Get The Black Family Sitcom Back?
- Ratch on Ratch on Ratch: 6 Questions I Need Answered About Basketball Wives’
- The Mane Balancing Act: Exercising And Your Hair
- What’s Love Got To Do With It? Things You Really Need To Make A Relationship Work
- Post-Baby Fab: Fantasia Shows Off New Curves, New Hair & New Colorful Look