Loud and Proud: Zoe Saldana Lands First Cover Of Cosmo Latina
Hearst Magazines has just launched a new offspring of Cosmo for Latinas and Puerto Rican-Dominican actress Zoe Saldana has snagged its first cover.
Cosmo already has a Spanish version of its magazine but this new glossy is targeted at English-speaking Latinas here in the US, and inside the first issue Zoe talks about being proud of her roots.
“People think of Latina women as being fiery and fierce, which is usually true. But I think the quality that so many Latinas possess is strength. I’m very proud to have Latin blood.”
The 33-year-old “Avatar” and “Colombiana” star also talks about the moment she realized she was meant to be an actress:
“I had to quit ballet because it felt like a part of me was dying inside. It takes a lot of courage to face up to things you can’t do because we feed ourselves so much denial … In dance you use every party of your body except your voice. I wanted to start acting because I wanted to use my voice.”
I can foresee Sophia Vergara covering a future issue of the magazine considering her popularity right now, but I think it’s a good move that Cosmo launched this mag with an afro-latina on the cover, hopefully that speaks to the inclusion that will come down the line.
Cosmopolitan for Latinas hits newsstands May 1. What do you think about this new glossy idea?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: The Cheating Scale & Adult Videos
- Find a Solution to Your Suffering Sex Life
- Disappearing Acts: Why Men Suddenly Stop Calling
- Malinda Williams Is Not Feeling ‘Think Like A Man’
- Bruised But Not Broken: 10 Ways to Cure Heartbreak
- What’s The Big Deal About The Lack Of Black ‘Girls?’
- Skincare Q&A: Photo Sensitivity, Combination Skin and Dark Circles
- Haute Hair Accessory: Clip-Ins (Starting Under $100 Too!)