WTH: Couple Held At Gunpoint At New Home When Neighbors Assume They’re Robbers
In more, people taking justice into their own hands news, a Georgia couple didn’t exactly get a friendly welcome to the neighborhood when they went over to change the locks on a foreclosed home they had just closed on. In fact, they were held at gunpoint by their new neighbors and even arrested by police.
When Jean Kalonji and his wife, Angelica, who grew up in the Congo, started working on the locks at their new home in Newton County, as their real estate agent suggested, an armed man and another person who appeared to be the man’s son confronted them.
“He say to put the hands up and get out from the house otherwise he would shoot us,” Jean said.
His wife said they put their hands up and were told to get over by the wall while the neighbors called the Sheriff’s office and told them two people were breaking into the home and that they didn’t believe their story that they had just purchased the house. When police arrived, the Kalonji’s didn’t have their closing papers with them so they were arrested, hauled off to jail, and charged with loitering and prowling.
Though they’ve since been released, Jean said the experience brought back painful memories of his upbringing.
“There, they put me down with the gun to my head, and come here, the same,” he told WSBTV.com
It doesn’t appear authorities have been very apologetic about the situation either. Newton County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Mark Mitchell simply said they are investigating everything that happened.
“We’re kind of on the ground floor to this as far as looking into it exactly what occurred, why it occurred.”
I’m pretty sure they don’t have to look far beyond the couple’s ethnicity to find that answer.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dating Before Divorced! These Folks Just Couln’t Wait…
- Not So Famous Sisters of Famous Black Celebrities Part III
- LASH OUT! The 7 Best Mascaras For Lash Length – EDITOR PICKS
- Relationship Reflections: Things To Think About After The Breakup
- Oh No She Didn’t: Tyra Banks Fires Jay Manuel, Nigel Barker, and J.Alexander from ANTM
- Brooklyn Man Locked Up Nearly a Year for Rape Even Though Victim Recanted Story
- ‘Broke’: New Documentary Looks at How Pro Athletes (Foolishly) Lose All Their Money
- Is Church A Waste of Time?