Ever since Dwyane Wade won sole custody of his sons last March he’s become the poster child of single fatherhood among celebrities. There’s no doubt the Miami Heat player’s situation is a rare one, and he’s decided to share more personal aspects of his experience in an upcoming book, “A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger Than Basketball.”
Dwyane will talk about his transformation as a child of a single parent and playing basketball in Chicago where he grew up, to becoming a single father of two young boys as a part of the Heat’s Big Three and an American Olympics Team.
The book will be published by William Morrow of HarperCollins Publishers in September, and falls in line with the need for positive examples of fatherhood Dwyane says he observed, particularly in the past few years. While he was going through his custody battle with ex-wife Siohvaughn, he says so many people came up to him asking why he fought for custody of his kids and why he thought he could handle being a single parent. For him, it was pretty much a no brainer.
“As a child, I grew up with aspirations to one day be a professional basketball player, and I am living that dream every day as a proud member of the Miami Heat,” he said. “However, the daily role I play in the lives of my two children is the single most significant undertaking of my life, and the job I take most seriously.”
Gabrielle Union’s found herself a good catch. This book definitely sounds like a great read. Will you check it out?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now? The Cast Of “227”
- He Wrote That? The Surprising Songwriters Behind Some Of Our Favorite Songs
- 7 Ways Your Relationship Should Get Better Over The Years
- Nice & Slow: R&B Singers Who’ Are A Little Soft
- Make It Last Forever: 6 Ways To Improve Your Marriage
- New MN Series: “Ask A Black Man” Episode 1: The Life Of A Single Black Man
- LaLa Addresses Confrontation With Melo’s Assistant And Open Marriage Rumors
- Backlash To Awkward Black Girl’s Shorty Award Win Is Awkward