If you’re under 30 and feeling a little down on life don’t worry, you just haven’t hit your peak yet. A new survey from British website, Friends Reunited, found that 33 is the happiest year of men and women’s lives.
An overwhelming majority of people in the survey who were over 40—70 percent—said 33 was their happiest age. Just 16 percent said they were happiest as a child, and only 6 percent said during college. A third of the respondents linked their happiness to becoming parents, while only one in five found their joy on the job. Psychologist Donna Dawson says this age makes sense.
“The age of 33 is enough time to have shaken off childhood naivete and the wild scheming of teenaged years without losing the energy and enthusiasm of youth,” she told the NY Daily News.
“By this age innocence has been lost, but our sense of reality is mixed with a strong sense of hope. We have yet to develop the cynicism and world-weariness that comes with later years.”
I don’t know Donna, I think people in their 20s are becoming increasingly cynical, particularly with the economic situation of the country. But besides all the self assurance that comes in your 30s, one of the respondents, 35-year-old Christine Possemato who’s single, says the happiness of 33 has a lot to do with what’s going on in the bedroom.
“It’s the sex, definitely,” she said. “You’re hitting your stride. You’re a lot more confident and you can attract younger guys.”
Let’s hope these people are right. Anybody 33 and older agree that this was their happiest age?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now? The Cast Of “227”
- He Wrote That? The Surprising Songwriters Behind Some Of Our Favorite Songs
- 7 Ways Your Relationship Should Get Better Over The Years
- Nice & Slow: R&B Singers Who’ Are A Little Soft
- Make It Last Forever: 6 Ways To Improve Your Marriage
- New MN Series: “Ask A Black Man” Episode 1: The Life Of A Single Black Man
- LaLa Addresses Confrontation With Melo’s Assistant And Open Marriage Rumors
- Backlash To Awkward Black Girl’s Shorty Award Win Is Awkward