“They say girlfriend you know you work too hard”—that statement was true for Gladys Knight in the ’80s and it’s still true for the singer now. Not only has Ms. Gladys returned to the forefront of the entertainment scene as a contestant on “Dancing with the Stars,” she’s also gearing up to star in a new television project.
According to TMZ, she’s been cast in a new show called “The First Family,” which is about a fictional President of the United States who’s juggling work with his family life. No one’s said anything about the show being based on President Obama but it’s clear that’s where the inspiration came from. Gladys Knight is said to be playing the president’s mother.
A major network has reportedly already expressed interest in the sitcom and production is being rushed in order to capitalize on Gladys’ “Dancing” fame. Byron Allen, the Executive Producer of “First Family,” said this about her role:
“Gladys is truly an American treasure and we’re excited to work with her.”
Sounds like there might be a good black sitcom on the way, which is just what we need. What do you think?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “Living Single”
- Ask A Very Smart Brotha Live: Herpes Bingo & False Hope
- I’m a BIG Kid Now: 8 Signs You’ve Finally Grown Up…
- The Black Snob Sounds Off: The 7 Kinds of Men Who Make Life Miserable For Everyone
- She’s a Bad Mama Jama: Our Celebrity Girl Crushes
- Skincare Q&A: Uneven Skin Tone, Shrinking Pores and Blackheads
- Stepmom or Stepmonster? Marrying a Man With Kids
- He Had That Masculine Thing DOWN: 8 Mannish R&B Singers