KISS Goes in on Rihanna ‘Shmianna’ and Every Other ‘Karaoke’ Singer Who Ends Their Name With an A
I don’t know when the members of the ’70s rock band KISS became so concerned with Rihanna’s career but they are clearly not fans. At a press conference for the band’s upcoming concert with Mötley Crüe, band frontman Gene Simmons took it upon himself to hype up interest for the show by going in on the popular music acts of today. Here’s what he told the press:
“We’re sick and tired of girls getting up there with dancers and karaoke tapes in back of them. No fake bulls***. Leave that to Rihanna, Shmianna and anyone who ends their name with an A.”
Once Gene got the shade ball rolling, Mötley Crüe’s drummer Tommy Lee decided to add his two cents on the matter in an interview with Billboard.com.
“No disrespect to Rihanna, she’s a great singer, but we’re in a slump for some s*** that has some personality and appeal beyond a bunch of pop stuff that’s floating around out there,” he said. “I’m glad he [Gene] said that actually because I don’t think I can bear watching another f***ing award show that is just a little bit better than “American Idol.” It’s f***ing pathetic to watch people go out and f***ing karaoke with a bunch of lights and video.”
Tell ’em why you mad.
So far Rihanna’s rep has been unavailable for comment, but I bet Rih Rih is cooking up a nice Twitter thrashing for these band members. Can’t say they’re necessarily wrong, but they didn’t have to put her out there like that.
What do you think about what these rockers had to say?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dating While Separated? You Were Asking For Trouble Adrian Wilson
- He Had That Masculine Thing DOWN: 8 Mannish R&B Singers
- Should Non-African Blacks Be Cast in African Roles?
- The Black Snob Sounds Off: The 7 Kinds of Men Who Make Life Miserable For Everyone
- 6 Times You’ll Have To Accept No Sex For A While
- That’s My Cousin! Famous Black Celebrities Who Are Related
- MN Exclusive: Tashera Simmons on Why Therapy Was “Life Changing” For Her and DMX
- 4 DIY Home-Made Facial Masks To Rejuvenate Your Skin