Florida Student Goes on Violent Rant Against White People in Discussion on Evolution
A bizarre situation erupted in a Florida Atlantic University classroom a couple of days ago during a discussion on evolution. Professor Stephen Kajiura had been discussing female selection among peacocks when Jonatha Carr interrupted the lesson and began asking racially-charged questions, like why does evolution kill black people?
When the professor couldn’t answer her unexpected question, Jonatha became enraged and started yelling at the professor and other students in the class, and even threatened them.
“She became increasingly belligerent,” Professor Kajiura told the University Press. “It was at this point, a highly emotionally charged individual who was no longer capable of responding rationally. She was threatening to kill both me and the students in the class.”
After several minutes of getting in other students faces, calling them the n-word, and seemingly slapping one of the white male students, a school official entered the classroom and attempted to get Johnica to leave. Their interaction turned into a violent altercation and police had to carry the student into the back of a squad car, at which time a Taser was reportedly used to subdue her.
Because it was pretty clear Johnica’s outburst was not simply fueled by rage, the young woman was taken to a hospital for involuntary examination under the Florida Mental Health Act. Still, the Dean of Students took immediate action against the student and she has now been expelled.
Check out the video recorded by one of the students in the classroom here. Do you think expulsion is fair if Johnica was having some sort of mental breakdown?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dating While Separated? You Were Asking For Trouble Adrian Wilson
- He Had That Masculine Thing DOWN: 8 Mannish R&B Singers
- Should Non-African Blacks Be Cast in African Roles?
- The Black Snob Sounds Off: The 7 Kinds of Men Who Make Life Miserable For Everyone
- 6 Times You’ll Have To Accept No Sex For A While
- That’s My Cousin! Famous Black Celebrities Who Are Related
- MN Exclusive: Tashera Simmons on Why Therapy Was “Life Changing” For Her and DMX
- 4 DIY Home-Made Facial Masks To Rejuvenate Your Skin