6. Once Trust is Earned, Keep It.
Hopefully by the time you actually become the stepmother, the child has had a chance to get to know you. If trust hasn’t been established yet, then you keep working on it until the trust is there. But most men (assuming he’s close with his children) will not marry a woman his child has not approved of already, so make sure you keep that approval rating high by maintaining and nurturing the trust that you’ve earned. If the child tells you something in confidence, don’t break that confidence by running back and telling daddy everything he/she said. The only way you break that trust is if what the child told you reveals that they are in physical or emotional danger. Trust your judgment while respecting the child, and you’ll be in like Flynn!
More on Madame Noire!
- That’s My Cousin! Famous Black Celebrities Who Are Related
- Why I’m Concerned about Lala and Her Fake Full Court Life
- Before the Money, Honey: Women Who Stood By Their Men Before and After the Fame
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “A Different World”
- Confessions of a Loud Black Woman
- Is He Dating Other People? 7 Signs You’re One Of Many
- Trayvon Martin, His Witness and What We Should Be Teaching Our Children About Racism
- Should Black Folks Feel Obligated To Speak To Each Other?