Many were surprised at how candid Seal was when he talked about the end of his marriage just days after he and Heidi Klum filed for divorce, but the singer recently stopped by he Fifi and Jules radio show in Australia and explained that he had an obligation to the public and to his fans to admit what was going on in his relationship. He told the hosts:
“When you publicize your marriage as much as our marriage was publicized, when you renew wedding vows, when you do all those things, what you are saying to people is … you’re giving people a picture of an ideal relationship that people aspire to.
“When it goes south, you can’t all of a sudden take the philosophy of a monk and decide to go for a vow of silence. It doesn’t really work like that,” he said. “I respect my wife’s decision not to talk about that, but I felt that people at least deserved some kind of explanation why the picture of the ideal wasn’t what they thought it was.”
He also said the split just happened to coincide with several previously scheduled public appearances due the release of his new album, and that he wasn’t seeking media attention to talk about their relationship.
“It’s not like this [split] happened and I decided the next week to go on the show,” Seal said. “I’ve tried my very best to protect the general welfare of my family, my wife included.”
I think this is one of the most respectful Hollywood divorces we’ve seen to date.
Do you agree that the public deserves explanations about celebrity splits for the reasons Seal said?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Single Setbacks: Distractions That Keep Us From Dating
- Keep It Short! Ladies Who Look Better With Short Hair Cuts
- Chris Brown: Can We Forgive and Forget?
- Love & Life Lessons I Learned From “Love & Basketball”
- 6 Ratchet Behaviors Ig’nant People Should Give Up for Lent
- My BFF: The Non-Celebrity Besties of The Famous
- Pregnant Teen Paralyzed in Shooting Dies Months After Giving Birth to Baby Girl
- Show Off Your Shape! Style Tips To Flatter Your Body