You may not typically equate Tyrese with black consciousness given some of the scrutiny he’s come under lately with his music videos and his relationship with black women, but the singer, actor, director, and producer has shown another side of himself with a new project titled “A Dreamer’s Dream.”
The video, which has gone viral over the past 10 days or so, was directed and produced by Tyrese who brought along Blair Underwood and Jill Scott for the project. Blair stars as the voice of a man who has lost his way and is visited by Dr. Martin Luther King (Tyrese) and Coretta Scott King (Jill) in a dream after praying to God for a sign of what he would have him do with his life.
In the dream, Blair asks Dr. King what heaven is like and how the civil rights struggle affected his family. He then asks both for their thoughts on President Obama’s election, voting, the criminal justice system and modern-day slavery, and even divorce in what appears to be a call to action for the black community.
In the end, the dreamer asks Dr. King what we can do to make his dream a reality today, to which he replies, “Love, vote, education, fight,” adding, “you owe us nothing less than we owed you: to run the race before us so that we may obtain the victor’s crown.”
This is a pretty amazing way to end Black History Month. Check out the inspirational video here and tell us what you think.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Single Setbacks: Distractions That Keep Us From Dating
- Keep It Short! Ladies Who Look Better With Short Hair Cuts
- Chris Brown: Can We Forgive and Forget?
- Love & Life Lessons I Learned From “Love & Basketball”
- 6 Ratchet Behaviors Ig’nant People Should Give Up for Lent
- My BFF: The Non-Celebrity Besties of The Famous
- Pregnant Teen Paralyzed in Shooting Dies Months After Giving Birth to Baby Girl
- Show Off Your Shape! Style Tips To Flatter Your Body