Idris Elba Confimed for Mandela Biopic
A couple of months ago rumors surfaced that Idris Elba would play Nelson Mandela in an upcoming biopic, and now the British actor has confirmed the talk is true.
In an interview with Hip Hollywood, Idris talked about his latest film “Ghost Rider,” but when asked how he plans to follow up his big Golden Globe win for Luther this year, he said this summer he’ll be focusing on his upcoming role as Nelson Mandela in a new film.
Idris said he will portray the South African leader as he was in Long Walk to Freedom, Mandela’s official autobiographical book which details his educational upbringing, coming of age, and the 27 years he spent in prison.
So far no other details about who will be a part of the project have been revealed, so it will be interesting to see who else is involved as details unravel.
What do you think about this pick? Will Idris do the role justice?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- ’90s One-(Or Two) Hit Wonders Whose Jams Make Us Want a Comeback
- Should We Boycott Nicki Minaj?
- True Life: I Knew He Wasn’t Into Me When…
- Saying One Thing and Doin Another: Celebs Who Lack Consistency
- Does the Academy of Motion Pictures Need Affirmative Action?
- Friends & Lovers: What To Avoid When Introducing Your Guy To Your Girls
- Bey and Jay Show Their Love At Knicks-Nets Game
- Dear Evelyn, It Ain’t That Serious