Michelle Obama is the ‘Most Incredible Gift’ to J. Crew Business
Michelle Obama has repped J. Crew since before she entered the White House and her brand loyalty over the past several years has paid off big for the retailer.
J. Crew Creative Director Jenna Lyons says the first lady consistently wearing their designs is “the most incredible gift that keeps on giving”—especially since Mrs. Obama wears the label all on her own.
“She doesn’t call in any special favors. They don’t ask for any discounts. It’s pretty unbelievable,” Lyons told ABC. “She still continues to wear the product without any help from us … They go to our website and they purchase just like anybody else.”
After Mrs. O appeared on Jay Leno in 2008 and told the late night host she was wearing J. Crew from head to toe, stock in the company reportedly went up by more than 8 percent. Lyons says many women see owning an item of clothing that Michelle wears as a way to bond with the first lady of the United States.
“The fact that they had something they had, that they owned a sweater that Michelle wore. For a lot of people, it’s been an incredible point of connection, a way for them to connect to her through us,” she said.
That explains why Target killed with it’s new Jason Wu line this month.
Were you hip to J. Crew before the first lady? Have you found yourself checking out the brand more now that Michelle Obama has given it more visibility?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- The Severity Behind Every Street Holla
- Why Are You Hiding Your Boos? Celeb Women Who Are Always Acting Single
- Is Sex Addiction the Land Where All Cheating Lovers Go?
- I Know You Mean Well, But…7 Reasons Why BET Kills Me Softly
- Dry Season: Seven Reasons to Consider Being Celibate
- What You Do And Don’t Need To Agree On In A Relationship
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: Biters and Body Odor
- Open Letter to Single Black Women