Tommie Harris, member of the San Diego Chargers football team, has suffered a sadly similar experience to NFLer Chris Draft this week. On Sunday evening, his wife, Ashely Harris, passed away after being hospitalized just two days prior for a stroke or brain aneurysm.
Ashley was only 29, and she and and Tommie just said “I do” on New Year’s Day. The couple was planning a reception in Oklahoma where Tommie played college ball but sadly they weren’t able to finish their plans. The young mother had also recently given birth to the couple’s second child, 4-month-old Tinsley, and they also have a 3-year-old named Tyson together.
Family friend Bill Horn told the Chicago Sun-Times:
“Tommie has been overwhelmed by the support of his former teammates, the Bears organization and the city of Chicago. Please continue to pray for him as he and his children grieve the loss of his wife.”
Ashley and Tommie were visiting Oklahoma last week when Ashley suddenly collapsed and was taken to the hospital. An official cause of death has not yet been confirmed and the autopsy is currently pending. Ashley’s funeral will be held in her birthplace of New Orleans on Friday.We’re definitely sending prayers to the family.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Are You Giving Folks The WHOLE Story When It Comes to Your Relationship Drama?
- What’s Your Secret? 40-Something Women Who Look 30-Something
- Moooooom!: 6 of Hollywood’s Most Embarrassing Mothers
- Madonna, Chelsea Handler and White Woman Privilege
- 7 Misconceptions Men Have About Women
- Ray J Discusses Relationships with ‘KK’ and Whitney in New Tell-All Book
- Beauty At The Least: The Best Bargains To Help You Stay Beautiful
- Black vs. African American: Do You Have a Preference?