6 Facts About Miscarriage
Although news of Beyonce and Jay-Z’s new baby daughter Blue Ivy has been the talk of the country in the past few days, news about Beyonce’s miscarriage is also making news. In Daddy Jay’s song “Glory,” he revealed that he and his wife went through a prior and painful miscarriage.
Along with the celebratory news, Beyonce’s experience of miscarriage is shining much-needed light on an issue that affects so many women. Here are some facts to know about miscarriage.
1. The chances of having a miscarriage for healthy women is between 15-20%.
2. The chances of having a miscarriage increases with age with women between 35-45 having a 20-35% chance of miscarriage.
3. A woman who has experienced miscarriage has a 25% chance of having another miscarriage.
4. Miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormalities, which makes avoidance something that women can’t control. But doctors do agree that being healthy and getting healthy does improve chances of a successful pregnancy. Some health initiatives include exercising, taking folic acid daily, and eliminating smoking and alcohol consumption.
5. There are many types of miscarriage from a “threatened miscarriage” to a “missed miscarriage,” which range in severity and pain.
6. Miscarriages can not only be physically painful but also emotionally excruciating. It is critical that women impacted by miscarriage seek out support from family, friends or the medical community in order to regain confidence and be able to try again with a healthy perspective.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dudes You Need to DVR: Hot Men We’re Currently Watching TV For
- Daddy’s Little Girls: Celebrity Men and Their Darling Daughters
- Why You Should Say “No” To His Offer of “Just Friends”
- Bump Up Your Bob! Spice Up Your Sleek Style With These Tips
- “OOooh Unn Uhhh” and Other Things Black Girls Say
- Celebrity Women Who Look Good With A Little Extra Weight