Obama Administration Announces Summer Job Program for Teens
Unemployment has threatened significant portions of the American population, including teenagers. With this issue in mind, the White House announced their plan to create 180,000 for young adults (16-24) with a goal of reaching 250,000.
Summer Jobs+ essentially partners with businesses, non profit organizations and other forms of government to provide employment for low income young adults. This program comes immediately after the president proposed a $1.5 billion plan to implement summer and year round jobs for this same age group but Congress did not act on it. Afterward the Federal Government and the private sector came together to create an alternative initiative. The Summer Jobs+ program is the result of those efforts.
Companies like Bank of America, Starbucks Coffee Co. AT&T Inc. have committed to providing 26,850 jobs to the program. Wells Fargo, CVS, Deloitte and Gap Inc., have also signed on to take part in this program.
You can get the rest of the story from the White House Press Release here.
More on Madame Noire!
- Six Fashion Trends Sistas Need to Change. Now.
- What We’ve Learned From Ratchet Reality TV
- Do You Confuse Basic Male Traits as Bonuses?
- Ashy to Classy: Must Have Beauty Products to Curb Head to Toe Winter Dryness
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha: Freshmen Woes & Possessive Types
- S*** Black Girls Say vs. S*** White Girls Say to Black Girls