Maya Angelou and Mariah Carey to Receive BET Honors
BET is coming up on its fifth annual celebration of African American success in music, arts, and education, and the network has chosen two women with a lifetime of achievements to be presented with BET Honors: poet/author Maya Angelou and one of the top-selling singers of all time, Mariah Carey.
Singer/songwriter Stevie Wonder, filmmaker Spike Lee, inspirational coach Beverly Kearney, and the Tuskegee airmen will also be honored at the event which will be hosted by actress Gabrielle Union. BET Honors will take place Jan. 15 at Warner Theater in Washington, DC, and the televised airdate for the ceremony is expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
What do you think of this year’s honorees?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- WEEKEND WRAP UP: Kat Williams Wins Back Custody, Common vs. Drake? + More!
- Over Age Acne? Learn How To Beat the Bumps
- The Odd Couple: Hollywood’s Most Shocking Relationships
- Changing Faces: Common Cosmetic Surgeries Performed in 2011
- Do You Have a Love List?
- Unforgivable Hood Baby Names: Celebrity Edition
- Family Feud: Celebrity ‘Blood’ Battles