Woman in Protective Custody After Racist Train Rant
In this day and age it ought to be a given that if you act a fool in public, someone will record you and expose your foolishness to the world on YouTube. That’s exactly what happened to Emma West, a woman in the UK who, with her 4-year-old child in lap, went off about black people on a public train, telling them they weren’t British because they’re black and that they should go back to their own country.
Death threats were sent to the woman after the video, “My Tram Experience,” was shot by Kelly Hollingsworth and posted online, and police say they had no choice but to lock her up “for her own protection” as “there is a serious risk of her being injured in revenge attack by the public,” Metro.co.uk reported.
West was also referred for psychiatric evaluation, but patriotic organizations like British First say “Locking this feisty English mother up in jail only reinforces the suspicion that if you are British then you are a second class citizen in your own country,” according to its website.
West will appear in court again on Tuesday.
Do you think police should have locked this woman up, even if it is her for her own safety? After watching the video, do you think she needed to be referred for a psych eval?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Differences That Are Worth Overcoming, And Those Worth Being Stubborn About
- Well You Don’t Say: 10 White Singers We Once Thought Were Black
- Breaking It Down: What Men Think of Things Women Do
- The Questions He Hopes You Never Ask
- Best New Books by African American Authors
- 9 Inconvenient Truths About Men and Cheating
- Hot Business Looks on a Tiny Budget Through Thrifting!