Embattled R&B singer R. Kelly did not show up in court on Thursday and reportedly refused transport services according to prosecutors, NBC News reports.
The scheduled hearing was in reference to Kelly’s pending sex crime charges after he was taken into federal custody in July. In one of the cases, Kelly is accused of sex-trafficking four women, three of which were underage.
Though Kelly was a no-show the hearing continued under the jurisdiction of Cook County Judge Lawrence Flood, who inquired as to why Kelly was a no-show in court.
“The defendant was to be brought to court today. That was all worked out. The sheriffs were going to be bringing him over,” said Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Jennifer Gonzalez said according to NBC News.
“As I understand it, he refused transport and so that is why the defendant is not before your honor today,” Gonzales said.
However, Kelly’s lawyer Steve Greenberg offered a differing explanation, saying that his client did not refuse transport.
“I don’t want to discuss matters that I discussed with the U.S. Marshals Service in open court,” Greenberg said. “Suffice it to say, the Marshal Service says that moving Mr. Kelly is a large undertaking.”
During the hearing, Gonzalez filed a motion to raise the singer’s bail to $1 million dollars, stemming from the four Cook County cases, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
Kelly is facing several serious federal sex-abuse charges in Illinois and New York, after he was accused of sex-trafficking victims. In February under the leadership of state’s attorney Kim Foxx, Cook County was the first jurisdiction to bring charges against the R&B singer after a call for victims to come forward was answered.
Kelly has pleaded not guilty to those charges. In July, federal prosecutors in Chicago and Brooklyn filed charges, coupled with new prostitution charges bought by prosecutors in Minnesota last week. The singer has not yet entered plea in that particular case.
The singer’s next court date is scheduled for September 17.