Zoe Saldana and Sisters Featured in “W” Magazine’s “Soul Sisters” Issue
If you have sisters than perhaps you know that there is nothing like a bond sister’s share with one another. “W” Magazine decided to feature these special relationships by highlighting famous sisters. The spread included famous sisters like Julianne Moore and her sister Valerie Wells and former first twins Barbara and Jenna Bush.
Read what Zoe, 33, had to say about the relationship with her sisters Cisely (left), 32, a producer, and Mariel (right), 34, a nurse.
Because we’ve had to survive so many things, there’s this special bond that connects us,” says actress Zoë SaldanaWe were raised in Queens, New York, until my father passed away when I was 9. Our mom, being a single parent, didn’t want us to grow up in a dangerous place, so she moved us to the Dominican Republic, where we stayed with my grandparents. Our mom would live with us there for one year and then spend one year in New York so she could make money to send back home for us. It’s inconceivable for us to be separated. We have to be around each other 24/7.”And she’s not speaking metaphorically: When Zoë moved to L.A. from New York five years ago to pursue her film career (Avatar, Star Trek), her sisters quickly followed her. These days, they live within nine miles of each other. “I’ll text my mom once a day,” says Zoë. “But my sisters? Every 30 minutes we’re on BlackBerry Messenger.
More on Madame Noire!
- Differences That Are Worth Overcoming, And Those Worth Being Stubborn
- Well You Don’t Say: 10 White Singers We Once Thought Were Black
- Breaking It Down: What Men Think of Things Women Do
- The Questions He Hopes You Never Ask
- Best New Books by African American Authors
- 9 Inconvenient Truths About Men and Cheating
- Hot Business Looks on a Tiny Budget Through Thrifting!