FBI And CDC Investigating Death Of A Woman Who Died In The Dominican Republic Last Year

June 12, 2019  |  

Woman looking at man carrying surfboard at beach

Source: Portra / Getty

The number of Americans who have died in the Dominican Republic is a number that apparently continues to grow. And in addition to the deaths that have occurred this year, (which is six in Punta Cana) now mysterious deaths that happened in the past year are also being investigated.

According to PEOPLE, Yvette Nicole Sport was on a romantic trip to the D.R. with her fiancé last June. Sport, 51, took a drink from the hotel minibar, went to sleep and never woke up.

At the time, Sport’s cause of death was classified as a heart attack. But now that several American tourists have died at this resort: Bahía Príncipe in Punta Cana, Sport’s death is being reinvestigated.

Both the FBI and CDC are looking into all the deaths that occurred on the resort but agencies are not releasing further information about the investigation for now.

Sport’s family believe there is more to the story. Her sister, Felecia Nieves, told WTXF, “There is something dirty at the bottom of all of this. She was 51 years of age, relatively healthy, no reason for her to go on vacation and just die so suddenly.”

Last July, a month after Sport’s death, David Harrison, 45, died after drinking a soda from the minibar at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort while celebrating his anniversary. His death was also classified as a heart attack.

Robert Bell Wallace, 67, also died while at the Hard Rock resort. He also had a drink from the minibar. His niece, Chloe Arnold, said, “He was fine. On April 11 he had scotch from the minibar. He started feeling very sick, he had blood in his ruin and stool right afterward.”

He died three days later. The authorities never gave his family a cause of death.

Last week, a Colorado couple who stayed at the Bahía claimed they became violently ill after being exposed to what they believe to be insecticides through the air conditioning system. The couple experienced headaches, nausea, cramping and diarrhea before they decided to leave the property.

Experts are set to conduct tests on the resort.

Despite the number of incidents, the United States has not issued a travel advisory for the Caribbean country. Robin Bernstein, the ambassador of the United States to the Dominican Republic said the incidents involving American tourists were isolated cases.

“We have 2.7 million Americans who come to the country and the statistics is that this is a very … unique event,” Bernstein said. “They come to visit the beautiful beaches and enjoy the great culture. Unfortunately sometimes those things happen to people.”

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN