Ilhan Omar Says She Faces More Death Threats After Trump’s Vile Tweet

April 15, 2019  |  

Equality Act

Source: Tom Williams / Getty

Rep. Ilhan Omar spoke out about her safety in the wake of a vicious, irresponsible, tweet sent out by Trump which has in turn riled up the most insidious of his base.

On Sunday the Minnesota lawmaker shared that she’s received an uptick in death threats, aside from the arrest made last week, and condemned the hateful rhetoric out of the White House.

“I have experienced an increase in direct threats on my life – many directly referencing or replying to the President’s video,” she said in a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday night.

All of the backlash spurs from a video of Omar speaking at a March 23 event in Los Angeles at the Council on American-Islamic Relations. In her speech she talked about the harsh treatment Muslims around the country experienced in the wake of 9/11, saying people felt inclined to do so because “some people did something,” in reference to the persons who carried out the attack.

Conservatives began blasting the Muslim lawmaker, saying that she trivialized the event which claimed the life of almost 3,000 people, while her supporters felt the focus should have been geared more towards the rhetoric that encouraged the Islamophobia of past and present.

The Trump tweet Omar is referring to included imagery of her speaking while looped over imagery of the burning World Trade Center towers on 9/11. Trump captioned the video with, “WE WILL NEVER FORGET.” At one point the tweet was pinned to the top of his Twitter page, but has since been removed from that position, according to USA Today. It still however, remains in his Twitter feed.

Trump’s video came hours after the New York Post placed a photo of the burning towers as their Friday cover with the caption, “Here’s your something. 2,977 people dead by terrorism.” The Post was also condemned for irresponsibly taking Omar’s comments about the rise of Islamophobia after 9/11 out of context.

According to CBS News, a group of Yemeni-American merchants in New York have formalized a boycott and have refused to sell the paper in their stores and bodegas.

In response to Omar’s tweet about her concern for her safety, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced that she was ordering a review by U.S. Capitol Police and also spoke out against Trump’s tweet, urging him to delete the video.

“The President’s words weigh a ton, and his hateful and inflammatory rhetoric creates real danger,” Pelosi said in her statement. “President Trump must take down his disrespectful and dangerous video.”

 

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN