Gaming Studio Blaming Kevin Hart’s Extra-Marital Affair For App Failure

December 23, 2018  |  

gaming company suing kevin hart

Source: NBC / Getty

Kevin Hart my not be exactly hurting for cash these days, but the scandals keep coming. The latest is a result of a business deal that didn’t turn out as profitable as expected, and a gaming company says Hart’s personal life is to blame.

The comedian recently made headlines for a series of homophobic tweets from the past that ultimately led to him backing out of an opportunity to host the upcoming Oscar awards. Hart took accountability for his actions and apologized to anyone who may have been offended by the tweets, but now gaming studio Stand Up Digital is pointing the finger at Hart for yet another past error in judgment that hurt the pockets of both parties.

The Blast reports Hart teamed up with the gaming app developer to create a gaming app, but one month before the app was set to be released, Hart took to social media to reveal he was being extorted over a sex tape that was proof of him having an extra-marital affair. In the video he also apologized to his spouse and family. However, Stand Up Digital is saying an apology simply won’t cut it and that the scandal surrounding the incident affected the launch of the app and resulted in a lack of sales. The company sued Hart for $7.2 million earlier this year. Hart recently filed a response saying his personal revelation didn’t play as big of a part in the app’s failure as Stand Up Digital alleges. The Night School star says the launch could’ve easily been pushed back after the scandal died down, and that he had no way to foresee that the personal matter would have to be addressed at that time noting he “suffered through an extremely difficult period in his life, where he was subjected to attempted blackmail to prevent disclosure of an extramarital affair.”

According to court documents obtained by the site, Hart shared the reasons behind his decision to put out a public apology at that time:

“Instead of giving in to his would-be blackmailer, Mr. Hart took the extraordinary step of admitting his mistake publicly, apologizing to his loved ones who were no doubt hurt by this revelation, and promising to ‘do better’ in the future. Whereas many persons go through the exact same marital strife, Mr. Hart and his family were forced to endure it publicly, all because an extortionist sought to take advantage of Mr. Hart’s fame for his own financial advantage.”

Hart says the lawsuit is “meritless” and a similar move to extort him for money using his personal transgressions. Furthermore, he claims there are other reasons the app was a failure that have nothing to do with him publicly admitting to infidelity stating it was “released into an app market where the overwhelming majority of gaming apps make insignificant revenue, and the few successful games, such as ‘Game of War,’ have advertising budgets in the tens of millions of dollars.”

Hart also claims he didn’t inform Stand Up Digital of his plans to come forward since he was assisting the FBI with an investigation into the extortion scheme and could not disclose any details.

Hart is asking for the entire lawsuit to be thrown out and is also countersuing for the company’s failure to provide him with any accounting of profits made by the game. The game, entitled “Gold Rush” used he and his family’s likenesses and Hart says aside from that his only role was to promote it. He says the app has been put out on the market, but he has yet to receive any compensation.

Stand Up Digital says they invested $1.25 million into the game which was set to launch in September 17 in Apple’s AppStore, who pulled their commitment to sell shortly after Hart’s confession went public.

Both cases are ongoing at this time.

 

 

 

Trending on MadameNoire

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN